Dall'Olanda all'Australia in bicicletta attraverso l'Italia

arctic-cycler

Novellino
8 Febbraio 2014
Visita sito
Bici
Koga Miyalta
Ci dispiace, ma il mio italiano non è buono. Questo è stato tradotto da google translate. The english version is below. :-)

Sono eccitato e spaventato allo stesso tempo. Questo settembre lascerò il mio lavoro di 16 anni, e il ciclo dall'Olanda, dove attualmente vivo, dove sono nato in Australia. Il viaggio è di circa 25000 km avranno 2 anni.

Attualmente sto progettando la rotta, e ora sto lavorando sulla sezione italiana del mio viaggio. Dopo aver inserito l'Italia nei pressi di Bolzano, voglio passare Venezia e Trieste prima di entrare in Croazia con la Slovenia. Io non ho familiarità con questa parte d'Italia, e vorrei davvero il vostro consiglio. È questo un buon percorso? Sono le strade belle?

http://arctic-cycler.com/world-cycle-2014/world-cycle-2014-italy/

Grazie mille per il vostro aiuto!

Matthew

I am excited and scared at the same time. This September I will be leaving my job of 16 years, and cycle from Holland, where I currently live, to where I was born in Australia. The trip is about 25000 km will take 2 years.

I am currently planning the route, and am now working on the italian section of my trip. After entering Italy near Bolzano, I want to pass Venezia and Trieste before entering Croatia via Slovenia. I am not familiar with this part of Italy, and would really like your advice. Is this a good route? Are the roads nice?

Thanks very much for your help!!

Matthew

chicks

Novellino
13 Marzo 2012
Brescia
Visita sito
Bici
da corsa
Hi Matthew,

first of all i need to say that to me this seems a great plan (of course if you can financially manage it :-).

Than, about the route, i admit that i don't know very well the region you're planning to cross, but since nobody has answered so far, here's my two cents:

1st suggestion: there's a bike path that goes along Adige river from Bolzano to (almost) Verona. It may slow you down a bit, but you get a safer ride and the opportunity to see Verona, which is a very nice city, as you probably know. You will also find 3 of the so-called "bicigrill" where you can stop to eat something and meet local cyclists. Oh... and it avoids the climbs between Trento and Vicenza if it does matter to you!
More or less this would be the route: http://goo.gl/maps/ojcHH
Some info (in italian...) here: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciclopista_della_Valle_dell%27Adige
and here: http://www.ciclabili.provincia.tn.it/tracciati_ciclopedonali/-valle_adige/pagina25.html

2nd suggestion: if you love climbing you could go from Bolzano to Belluno crossing the Dolomites and choose some of the many passes you will find in the region.

Please notice that these are two alternatives!

Finally i point out that between Chioggia and Venice your trip includes some ferries, not sure if it was intentional.

arctic-cycler

Novellino
8 Febbraio 2014
Visita sito
Bici
Koga Miyalta
Hi Matthew,

first of all i need to say that to me this seems a great plan (of course if you can financially manage it :-).

Than, about the route, i admit that i don't know very well the region you're planning to cross, but since nobody has answered so far, here's my two cents:

1st suggestion: there's a bike path that goes along Adige river from Bolzano to (almost) Verona. It may slow you down a bit, but you get a safer ride and the opportunity to see Verona, which is a very nice city, as you probably know. You will also find 3 of the so-called "bicigrill" where you can stop to eat something and meet local cyclists. Oh... and it avoids the climbs between Trento and Vicenza if it does matter to you!
More or less this would be the route: http://goo.gl/maps/ojcHH
Some info (in italian...) here: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciclopista_della_Valle_dell%27Adige
and here: http://www.ciclabili.provincia.tn.it/tracciati_ciclopedonali/-valle_adige/pagina25.html

2nd suggestion: if you love climbing you could go from Bolzano to Belluno crossing the Dolomites and choose some of the many passes you will find in the region.

Please notice that these are two alternatives!

Finally i point out that between Chioggia and Venice your trip includes some ferries, not sure if it was intentional.

Hey, chicks. Thanks for all the great information!! I will definitely update my route with some of your tips.
The cycle path along the Adige River sounds ideal - a beautiful valley and no cars. And these Bicigrills sound interesting. Are there certain times when cyclists meet there, or do you just arrive and see who is there? The route along the Adige River is also the Eurovelo 7 European cycle route. Always a good idea to cycle along these routes. :-)

The Dolomites are beautiful. I went there many years ago with a friend. Spectacular. Still, I think, after crossing the alps, a simple valley sounds appealing.. :-)

Also, regarding the ferries between Chioggia and Venice. Do these ferries run regularly? The route was taken from a website with bike routes, so, I imagine that it is possible to go there. Still, if I have to wait hours for a ferry, it might be better to avoid that route. I can't even see the ferries on Google Maps. I guess they are only minor ones..

musseu

Apprendista Passista
2 Luglio 2008
verona
musseu.blogspot.com
Bici
360 gradi
Ci dispiace, ma il mio italiano non è buono. Questo è stato tradotto da google translate. The english version is below. :-)

Sono eccitato e spaventato allo stesso tempo. Questo settembre lascerò il mio lavoro di 16 anni, e il ciclo dall'Olanda, dove attualmente vivo, dove sono nato in Australia. Il viaggio è di circa 25000 km avranno 2 anni.

Attualmente sto progettando la rotta, e ora sto lavorando sulla sezione italiana del mio viaggio. Dopo aver inserito l'Italia nei pressi di Bolzano, voglio passare Venezia e Trieste prima di entrare in Croazia con la Slovenia. Io non ho familiarità con questa parte d'Italia, e vorrei davvero il vostro consiglio. È questo un buon percorso? Sono le strade belle?

[url]http://arctic-cycler.com/world-cycle-2014/world-cycle-2014-italy/[/URL]

Grazie mille per il vostro aiuto!

Matthew

I am excited and scared at the same time. This September I will be leaving my job of 16 years, and cycle from Holland, where I currently live, to where I was born in Australia. The trip is about 25000 km will take 2 years.

I am currently planning the route, and am now working on the italian section of my trip. After entering Italy near Bolzano, I want to pass Venezia and Trieste before entering Croatia via Slovenia. I am not familiar with this part of Italy, and would really like your advice. Is this a good route? Are the roads nice?

[url]http://arctic-cycler.com/world-cycle-2014/world-cycle-2014-italy/[/URL]

Thanks very much for your help!!

Matthew

CIAO ti mando percorso Resia/Verona tutto su ciclabile la via Claudia Augusta poi da Verona puoi andare a Valeggio sul Mincio dove parte ciclabile che porta al mare.....Venezia, Trieste...buon viaggio fratello.

HELLO I am sending you Resia/Verona path cycle path around Via Claudia Augusta then you can go from Verona Valeggio part where path that leads to the sea ..... Venice, Trieste brother ... good trip.

Allegati

• VRV 2012.zip
    201,3 KB · Visite: 9

arctic-cycler

Novellino
8 Febbraio 2014
Visita sito
Bici
Koga Miyalta
CIAO ti mando percorso Resia/Verona tutto su ciclabile la via Claudia Augusta poi da Verona puoi andare a Valeggio sul Mincio dove parte ciclabile che porta al mare.....Venezia, Trieste...buon viaggio fratello.

HELLO I am sending you Resia/Verona path cycle path around Via Claudia Augusta then you can go from Verona Valeggio part where path that leads to the sea ..... Venice, Trieste brother ... good trip.

Hi there! Thanks! I will use this to get to Verona. It sounds like a lovely route.

I am thinking of changing my route somewhat to go over the Stelvio pass.. But, after that, I will join the Adige Valley. :-)

Jacopo.M

via col vento
25 Ottobre 2011
Padova
Visita sito
Bici
Cervelo S2, Yeti Arc-X, Salsa Colossal
Hi... hope you'll receive the best treatment in Italy in order to have good memories of our country. I just want to suggest you: if you'd need some assistance riding in Veneto near Venice, have a stop at one of the best and legendary bike shop-museums in northern Italy: Scavezzon brothers: http://www.scavezzon.com/2013/ They are great supporters of ultracycling and bike adventures and have all a randonneur needs for a long journey.
Enjoy your trip, good luck!

arctic-cycler

Novellino
8 Febbraio 2014
Visita sito
Bici
Koga Miyalta
Hi... hope you'll receive the best treatment in Italy in order to have good memories of our country. I just want to suggest you: if you'd need some assistance riding in Veneto near Venice, have a stop at one of the best and legendary bike shop-museums in northern Italy: Scavezzon brothers: http://www.scavezzon.com/2013/ They are great supporters of ultracycling and bike adventures and have all a randonneur needs for a long journey.
Enjoy your trip, good luck!

Hi there. Looks like a cool shop! I'll keep it in mind.. :-)

I have been getting lots of tips and advice from people, which is really nice. I am now looking at all the tips and planning an update of my route. I think I will go over the Stelvio Pass, on to Bolzano, and then down the Adige Valley to Verona.

Matthew

musseu

Apprendista Passista
2 Luglio 2008
verona
musseu.blogspot.com
Bici
360 gradi
Hi there! Thanks! I will use this to get to Verona. It sounds like a lovely route.

I am thinking of changing my route somewhat to go over the Stelvio pass.. But, after that, I will join the Adige Valley. :-)

simple when you're in Glorenza take for Swiss and then Stelvio and then go down to the lawn Stelvio.
send me your email in private [email protected] that you update :)

arctic-cycler

Novellino
8 Febbraio 2014
Visita sito
Bici
Koga Miyalta
Hey all.
Another question:
The route that I planned from Venezia to Trieste was taken from the internet (I googled bicycle Venezia Trieste). On looking at it more closely, I am not sure that it is possible as it looks like it involves ferries that might not exist just outside of Venezia.

Has anyone got a nice suggested route (with gpx file) from Venezia to Trieste?

Thanks!!

Matthew

chicks

Novellino
13 Marzo 2012
Brescia
Visita sito
Bici
da corsa
And these Bicigrills sound interesting. Are there certain times when cyclists meet there, or do you just arrive and see who is there?
I'm not aware of precise meetings, but four years ago i trained sometimes in the path portion around Trento and beetween 5 and 7 pm there was always many bikes parked outside.

The Dolomites are beautiful. I went there many years ago with a friend. Spectacular. Still, I think, after crossing the alps, a simple valley sounds appealing.. :-)
Yes, i agree! That of Stelvio pass is definitely a better choice.

arctic-cycler

Novellino
8 Febbraio 2014
Visita sito
Bici
Koga Miyalta
I'm not aware of precise meetings, but four years ago i trained sometimes in the path portion around Trento and beetween 5 and 7 pm there was always many bikes parked outside.

Yes, i agree! That of Stelvio pass is definitely a better choice.

Well, I will check out the bicigrill when I pass by. Always good to meet other cyclists. And the grill part sounds nice too!

arctic-cycler

Novellino
8 Febbraio 2014
Visita sito
Bici
Koga Miyalta

genannt vince

Scalatore
15 Aprile 2007
Libero Stato di Lisergia (LSD)
Visita sito
Bici
bici, macchina, scooter: c'ho tutto!
... l'Italia nei pressi di Bolzano,

ciao Matt, my english is no good too, therefore i'll write with my horrible english.
I'm living in Bolzano, and if you need assistance in this area you can have my disponibility.
like chicks and musseu said, the "ciclabile dell'Adige" is fantastic. and when you are in rovereto/mori, you can choice: to continue on this ciclabile or to go on garda lake!
this second possibility is better, for me!

but you don't say WHEN you think to ride. in summer bicigrills are open all the day, and the ciclabile is full of bikers in training, turists, and saturday and sunday many families spent the day here. Sure, you'll be not alone, in this 300 km's itinerary.

Ultima modifica:

arctic-cycler

Novellino
8 Febbraio 2014
Visita sito
Bici
Koga Miyalta
ciao Matt, my english is no good too, therefore i'll write with my horrible english.
I'm living in Bolzano, and if you need assistance in this area you can have my disponibility.
like chicks and musseu said, the "ciclabile dell'Adige" is fantastic. and when you are in rovereto/mori, you can choice: to continue on this ciclabile or to go on garda lake!
this second possibility is better, for me!

but you don't say WHEN you think to ride. in summer bicigrills are open all the day, and the ciclabile is full of bikers in training, turists, and saturday and sunday many families spent the day here. Sure, you'll be not alone, in this 300 km's itinerary.

Hi Genannt Vince.
Thanks for all your tips. I am really looking forward to cycling down the ciclabile dell'Adige. I will be there the start of October. I don't know if it will be as busy at the bicigrills as in the summer. My timing of leaving the Netherlands on 13 September is quite carefully planned. It is as late as possible in the year to still enable me to cross the alps. Once in Turkey I will have to wait 3 months for winter to pass before continuing into the higher mountains. The very high mountains in central Asia need to be ridden in the summer. I need to be in Tajikistan at the start of June.

Eventually I want to get to Verona and then Venezia. Would you recommend a short visit to the Garda Lake before returning to the planned turnoff to Verona? On looking at google, it certainly looks beautiful!!

Let me know if you are interested in cycling along for a bit with me. Its always nice to have local company! :-)

Thanks again!

Matthew

genannt vince

Scalatore
15 Aprile 2007
Visita sito
Bici
Hi Genannt Vince.
Thanks for all your tips. I am really looking forward to cycling down the ciclabile dell'Adige. I will be there the start of October. I don't know if it will be as busy at the bicigrills as in the summer. My timing of leaving the Netherlands on 13 September is quite carefully planned. It is as late as possible in the year to still enable me to cross the alps. Once in Turkey I will have to wait 3 months for winter to pass before continuing into the higher mountains. The very high mountains in central Asia need to be ridden in the summer. I need to be in Tajikistan at the start of June.

Eventually I want to get to Verona and then Venezia. Would you recommend a short visit to the Garda Lake before returning to the planned turnoff to Verona? On looking at google, it certainly looks beautiful!!

Let me know if you are interested in cycling along for a bit with me. Its always nice to have local company! :-)

Thanks again!

Matthew

2 weeks from NL to Bolzano? sure?
the way along the garda lake meens that you can go to Verona even on this street. Look on Google maps!
for a bit with you, why not?! we stay tuned, and we will see if it will be possible!

arctic-cycler

Novellino
8 Febbraio 2014
Visita sito
Bici
Koga Miyalta
2 weeks from NL to Bolzano? sure?
the way along the garda lake meens that you can go to Verona even on this street. Look on Google maps!
for a bit with you, why not?! we stay tuned, and we will see if it will be possible!

Hi there. I haven't done exact time calculations yet. In 2000 I cycled from Aachen to Andermatt in one week. This time I will be taking it easy. I think three weeks should be very doable, which would make it the 3rd of October.. Anyway, I want to stop when I want to. I will be visiting lots of friends on my way in Germany which may slow me down too.. :-)

Is the road from the Garda Lake to Verona a nice cycling path? My experience in Italy is that some of the main roads can be very busy.. Do you have a suggested route from the Garda Lake to Verona?

Let's stay in touch! Looking forward to meeting you!

Matthew

genannt vince

Scalatore
15 Aprile 2007
Visita sito
Bici
hi there. I haven't done exact time calculations yet. In 2000 i cycled from aachen to andermatt in one week. This time i will be taking it easy. I think three weeks should be very doable, which would make it the 3rd of october.. Anyway, i want to stop when i want to. I will be visiting lots of friends on my way in germany which may slow me down too.. :-)

is the road from the garda lake to verona a nice cycling path? My experience in italy is that some of the main roads can be very busy.. Do you have a suggested route from the garda lake to verona?

Let's stay in touch! Looking forward to meeting you!

Matthew

the itinerary around the garda lake is a "must" for the bikers, and in october the street are empty, and good!
The south part of the lake is very near verona.