alominator

Apprendista Cronoman
1 Dicembre 2008
Milano
Visita sito
Bici
Pinarello FP3 Campy Record 10v e Laitueit
Welcome Darrel!
Thanks for sharing with us these wonderful pictures and your thoughts.

...The pictures I show are of my normal daily work.
As I build the frame I email 5-10 pictures of the metal work each day to the customer
to bring them into the process of hand made bespoke custom frame....

And this is really an amazing thing, I think that involving the customer in frame building (even only sending him some pictures) is wonderful o-o

S

sdg71

salve Darrell,what a beatifull gift in this morning!
two questions:
why do you prefer inox to build a frame?
why do you prefer lugs for over size tubes instead of t.i.g.,is it only an aesthetical choice?
thankso-o

and why Sante Pollastri uses google translator? ah ah ah he speaks english better than italian....

By the way...thanx a lot Darrel to share with us your beatiful work, i heard from Dario that you are a great frame builder, and these pictures are here to confirm that! I hope to meet you someday, maybe in Italy for our next "pego-raduno" (pego-rally)....so we can change the name in pego-darrel rally"!

Mardot

Velocista
25 Febbraio 2008
Visita sito
Bici
Mia
I never use chrome plating, never!

Hi Dazza, is this a technical choice?

I only use stainless steel parts (inox)
and I file, sand and then polish the stainless steel

We had several discussions about the difference between lugged frames and TIG, in terms of mechanical reactivity and stiffness.

What's your feeling about it?

Last question: talking about materials and geometry, when you select your target frame (target frame for me means: race oriented, long ride, comfort, other charactheristics selected by the customer) what are the technical solutions you take for your project design, before you start welding, in order to achive your target?

Tnx a lot, I'm really happy to read you on this forum.

• Mi piace
Reactions: 1 person
S

sdg71

ciofecca gialloblù;2903007 ha scritto:
Ragazzi ringrazio pubblicamente Darrell per avere accettato il mio invito ad intervenire direttamente qui sul forum.
Grazie Darrell e benvenuto tra noi.
o-o

viste tutte le domande che gli arriveranno..direi che ti sei fatto un amico!!!

Dazza

Pignone
salve Darrell,what a beatifull gift in this morning!
two questions:
why do you prefer inox to build a frame?
why do you prefer lugs for over size tubes instead of t.i.g.,is it only an aesthetical choice?
thankso-o

It is important to understand that I do not have the price restrictions that a production builder has.
I operate in a different mode of business.
I only deal direct with the client.
So the costs and profits work differently

Chrome plating will lift and have rust underneath it, it can flake off and for any repairs after an accident it creates a terrible mess.
Chrome is the faster and cheaper solution for a production builder and the only way they can make a profit
but I do not have that problem as I sell direct to the client and my goal is to use the best material even if that takes a lot more time.
Also the chrome plating companies in my city of Brisbane are very bad!

Stainless steel does not have any of these problems. It stays the same , it will never flake and lift off off and can be polished again when the frame is refurbished and repainted.
It is not skin deep like chrome, it is all the way through the material.
So it keeps the frame looking neat and tidy for ever.

Tubing regards Metallurgical
I do not think stainless steel tubing is of any great advantage. It has many disadvantages, such as supply problems and a lack of tube selection for a custom builder to chose to suit the demands of the rider and frame. Until recently the stainless tubes have had a short fatigue life. It is interesting to use the new and better stainless tubes and I am only just starting to use Columbus XCr for lugs as have not been able to get XCr tubes for 16 months. My first production XCr sets arrived from Italy last week.
I think the Columbus XCr is the best stainless tube material available and it will be interesting to use these tubes later this year.
For normal steel tubes I always treat the inside of the tubes after painting with anti corrosion solution. Rust inside the tubes is never a problem.

Regards TIG or lugs with steel
Both methods have advantages and disadvantages

TIG welding is the fastest way to join two tubes.
It has freedom of tube design and angles
It requires no clean up after welding.
However good TIG welding is very hard to do and requires a lot of skill to do at the highest quality.
For production it is the best way to make a profit.
When TIG is done with skill and care it will give a good frame with a long life.

I use lugs because I think it is the best way to join two very thin steel tubes with regards to fatigue. It has less stress risers at the weld edge and no undercutting of the tube. Testing has shown this to be true.
Lugs have restrictions and I have over come these with my new lug designs for sloping top tubes and bigger tube diameters. For OS and XL tubes I have lugs for sloping the level top tubes.
Using lugs takes a lot more time but for the solo independent builder this is not a problem. Lugs also allow me to express myself with the shape of the shorelines. I think lugs look beautiful.
My desire is to use the best of the traditional methods with the best of contemporary design and materials.

Lugs are my chosen path.

aotearoa

Apprendista Scalatore
2 Maggio 2007
sotto un tetto
Visita sito
Bici
Bertolo Custom
I use lugs because I think it is the best way to join two very thin steel tubes with regards to fatigue. It has less stress risers at the weld edge and no undercutting of the tube. Testing has shown this to be true.
Lugs have restrictions and I have over come these with my new lug designs for sloping top tubes and bigger tube diameters. For OS and XL tubes I have lugs for sloping the level top tubes.

Stesse motivazioni date da Grandis nello spiegare certe sue scelte e stessa soluzione: congiunzioni custom fatte con le manio-o

Ultima modifica:
S

sdg71

Dazza,

thanx again for your answers! I think that for you it will be harder to reply to us, than to make a "lucentezza" per day!!
By the way, we all appreciate your kindly contribuition to this forum! Let me offer you a virtual (sic!) cup of italian espresso!

ciofecca gialloblù

Apprendista Velocista
16 Maggio 2009
Verona
Visita sito
Bici
de fero
Per i maligni all'ascolto :rosik:, uso Google per tradurre solo perchè ho fatto un voto a William Shakespeare di non parlare più in inglese per un anno dopo che la scorsa estate con le mie indicazioni ho fatto girare come una trottola impazzita due turisti inglesi per le vie di Verona :mrgreen:...

For evil to listen, i use Google to translate just because I made ​​a vow to speak no more of William Shakespeare in English for a year after last summer with my directions I ran like a top crazy for two British tourists streets of Verona ...
And then ... then I'll add a nice coffee brandy to fix that ... maybe not, appreciate more Dario could almost add a nice plate of "Greek rice, " one of the few dishes that I cook. Darrell already we did gain weight than a kilo, albeit virtually, good start ....

pcarp

Apprendista Passista
27 Febbraio 2009
Roma
Visita sito
Bici
rugosa
ciofecca gialloblù;2903007 ha scritto:
Ragazzi ringrazio pubblicamente Darrell per avere accettato il mio invito ad intervenire direttamente qui sul forum.
Grazie Darrell e benvenuto tra noi.
o-o
mecojions (in english) Sir Ciofecca!!!!
Great job.

pcarp

Apprendista Passista
27 Febbraio 2009
Roma
Visita sito
Bici
rugosa
To Dazza
thanks a lot....yours first lessons about you and your job are a great gift for us!!!
It's hard to believe....a framebuilder from the other side of the world write for this community!!! Wonderful!!! Good luck and thanks for your patience.
....if you go to Rome....we are here (me, Sante, SDG71....and a bottle of red wine, like in Caldonazzo, the story in your link)

ciofecca gialloblù

Apprendista Velocista
16 Maggio 2009
Verona
Visita sito
Bici
de fero
Darrell,
I think it may be useful for all, please, if you can explain the different customization options, which you have in choosing the shape, size and thickness of pipe Columbus XCR and Spirit.
I have always considered, from a mechanical point of view, the pipe XCR exceed the Spirit, but I seem to have understood that for a heavy rider and as tall as me, probably the best compromise is represented by the Spirit.
If I try a frame that is effective and responsive, the XCR series of pipe, which I still have a thickness less than the Spirit, are unsuitable?
And again, since the only real advantage (Xcr vs Spirit), in my opinion, is compared to the resistance to rust, I wonder if the protective coating that you apply to the pipe Spirit, can still ensure a long life frame happens to everyone sometimes ride in the pouring rain, maybe away from home ...
And road salt that is used by us here in Italy in winter? Also in this case the treatment would be effective against corrosion, ensuring the frame with pipe Spirit resistance similar to the pipe XCR?
One last question, if not indiscreet: What was the spark that has made the approach to the job of the frame builder? In Australia there is a school that teaches young talent this wonderful job? Unfortunately here in Italy, I do not think wrong, the young and talented who engage in this profession are very few, it is a sin!
I apologize for the many questions and thank you in advance for your kindness and great availability known. o-o

Roberto

Ultima modifica:
S

sante pollastri

ciofecca gialloblù;2904617 ha scritto:
Scusa Bob, probabilmente hai digitato male, ma si chiama Darrell o-o, è venuto di sua spontanea volontà, dopo uno scambio di e-mail tra me e lui.

qualcosa mi dice che molto hanno giocato i tuoi scarni,asciutti,essenziali contatti epistolari.....
per me è intervenuto di sua spontanea disperazioneo-o

Dazza

Pignone
Hi Dazza, is this a technical choice?

We had several discussions about the difference between lugged frames and TIG, in terms of mechanical reactivity and stiffness.

What's your feeling about it?

Last question: talking about materials and geometry, when you select your target frame (target frame for me means: race oriented, long ride, comfort, other charactheristics selected by the customer) what are the technical solutions you take for your project design, before you start welding, in order to achive your target?

Tnx a lot, I'm really happy to read you on this forum.

I believe there is no difference between TIG and Lugs in how the frame feels or reacts.
The tube diameters and the wall thickness and the length of the butt reinforcements will have effects on the frame's feel and reactions.
( and geometry)
A carefully built frame without cold setting so there are no in built stresses will give a sweeter riding frame.

Your last question. This question is a huge question. It will take 30 years to explain 30 years of experience
but to boil it down

I want to know your position data points. (attached drawing)
How to determine these data points? Some riders understand these, for some we must seek the position data with a biomechanical assessment (a big subject which I will not explain here),
also the position on the bike will change as the rider gets fitter, stronger, posture can change,
and then we all get older so things have to change.

"A bicycle is not a sofa"
Dario Pegoretti

all things have to be taken into the project
It is about the intended use for the bike.
and then I design the frame geometry to fit under you for the bike's intended use.
I select the materials.
I do not use fragile tubes, there is no benefit in saving 100 grams and havijng a fragile frame, there is no performance gain. I want to make a long lasting bike for your hard earned dollars is important.
We speak and I explain my rational of design and choices.
Refer to attached sample CAD drawing.
Then the metal work will begin.

for me it is about
[FONT=&quot]A bicycle that gives them many years of enjoyable riding. So with each passing year, their Llewellyn bicycle gives them greater value. Thus they Cherish their Llewellyn. That pleases me.[/FONT]

Allegati

• Position sheet.JPG
    Position sheet.JPG
    68,3 KB · Visite: 19
  • Mr Bond jpeg (Medium).JPG
    Mr Bond jpeg (Medium).JPG
    32,4 KB · Visite: 13
Ultima modifica: