7a Tappa 2020 Millau-Lavaur

bradipus

Vendicatore Mascherato e motore di ricerca
23 Luglio 2009
Bugliano
Visita sito
Bici
qualunquemente
oggi tappa per velocisti, con probabile protagonista il vento.
giusto per rimpolpare la discussione, alcune considerazioni in tema di vento da parte di Edward Pickering, di Procycling Magazine

Cycling and the wind. A thread.

The Vent d'Autan is forecast to blow on the Tour today. The locals say that it's a wind "qui rend fou"- which makes people go mad. It blows from the south east, in the opposite direction to the Tramontane, which blows from the north west.

The Tramontane funnels between the Massif Central and the Pyrenees. It was the wind which blew across the peloton on stage 11 of the 2016 Tour to Montpellier and saw Froome, Thomas, Sagan and Bodnar break away. Victor Hugo also wrote of it that it sends people mad.

Sagan now rides for Bora. The writer Stendahl said of the Bora wind, "I call it a high wind when I hold onto my hat, and a Bora when I am in danger of breaking my arm." The Bora blows down the Adriatic from the north.

Of course, cycling fans are familiar with the mistral, which blows down the Rhône valley from the north. The mistral is what makes Mont Ventoux the windiest place in France. It blew so hard in 2016 that the stage finish on Ventoux had to be moved 6km down the mountain.
And a race follower's caravan was blown clean over at the top.

There are many locally-named winds around the world. Only one in the UK, however - the Helm, in Cumbria. There's a list here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_local_winds. Have fun - it's a real rabbit hole. I once got caught in a Chinook in Montana, USA. It came from nowhere, and was quite eerie.

Recommended reading on the matter: Where the Wild Winds Are, by Nick Hunt (@underscrutiny). That's where the Stendahl quote comes from.

As cyclists, we may be more attuned to the wind than most people. I almost always plan my rides on the 'headwind out, tailwind home' model. You can tell the exact direction of the wind when riding by sensing the small air pockets and turbulence around your head.

Anyway, if that Vent d'Autan turns up today, it'll blow across the final 45km as a cross-tailwind, which is the hardest to manage for a peloton. The mountains haven't given us much action so far this Tour, but a crosswind always sends the peloton mad.

23 Ottobre 2015
Varese
Visita sito
Bici
Cube, Specialized
giusto per rimpolpare la discussione, alcune considerazioni in tema di vento da parte di Edward Pickering, di Procycling Magazine

Cycling and the wind. A thread.

The Vent d'Autan is forecast to blow on the Tour today. The locals say that it's a wind "qui rend fou"- which makes people go mad. It blows from the south east, in the opposite direction to the Tramontane, which blows from the north west.

The Tramontane funnels between the Massif Central and the Pyrenees. It was the wind which blew across the peloton on stage 11 of the 2016 Tour to Montpellier and saw Froome, Thomas, Sagan and Bodnar break away. Victor Hugo also wrote of it that it sends people mad.

Sagan now rides for Bora. The writer Stendahl said of the Bora wind, "I call it a high wind when I hold onto my hat, and a Bora when I am in danger of breaking my arm." The Bora blows down the Adriatic from the north.

Of course, cycling fans are familiar with the mistral, which blows down the Rhône valley from the north. The mistral is what makes Mont Ventoux the windiest place in France. It blew so hard in 2016 that the stage finish on Ventoux had to be moved 6km down the mountain.
And a race follower's caravan was blown clean over at the top.

There are many locally-named winds around the world. Only one in the UK, however - the Helm, in Cumbria. There's a list here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_local_winds. Have fun - it's a real rabbit hole. I once got caught in a Chinook in Montana, USA. It came from nowhere, and was quite eerie.

Recommended reading on the matter: Where the Wild Winds Are, by Nick Hunt (@underscrutiny). That's where the Stendahl quote comes from.

As cyclists, we may be more attuned to the wind than most people. I almost always plan my rides on the 'headwind out, tailwind home' model. You can tell the exact direction of the wind when riding by sensing the small air pockets and turbulence around your head.

Anyway, if that Vent d'Autan turns up today, it'll blow across the final 45km as a cross-tailwind, which is the hardest to manage for a peloton. The mountains haven't given us much action so far this Tour, but a crosswind always sends the peloton mad.
Tempo ho letto un’intervista a Trentin dove diceva che il vento di traverso a favore è quello che solitamente facilità maggiormente i ventagli.
Ci sono 45 km con quelle condizioni, in teoria.

dinute

Maglia Gialla
13 Maggio 2009
Udine
Visita sito

Nella zona di gara il vento, stando alle previsioni a poche ore dalla gara, soffierà a 20 km all'ora (le raffiche...altrimenti sarà poco più di una brezza) che non è un'intensità così pericolosa.

E in un tour durissimo - sulla carta - ci ritroviamo a pregare nel vento per vedere delle tappe combattute

dinute

Maglia Gialla
13 Maggio 2009
Udine
Visita sito
1599215485703.png
Il vento lungo la doirezione castres lavaur è per lo più favorevole ma comunque di intensità moderata. questa è la situazione alle 17

altri siti confermano direzione e intensità (questi sono i dati a Lavaur)
1599215873040.png

Allegati

• 1599215307607.png
    1599215307607.png
    611,1 KB · Visite: 2
  • 1599215826359.png
    1599215826359.png
    288,9 KB · Visite: 0

Teo66

Scavalcacavalcavia
4 Ottobre 2015
Visita sito
Bici
MTB
Pronti partenza via, sulla prima salita dopo pochi km la bora tira a tutta e i velocisti si staccano, bennet, nizzolo, ewan, ecc...
Se continuano vuene fuori un bel parapiglia anche grazie al vento.

Zugnajima#11

Team Lotus Camel Honda
14 Giugno 2010
Nußdorf am Inn, Bayern
youtube.com
Bici
Corratec CCT EVO Ultegra, Wilier Triestina Cento1 SLR Dura Ace